240 gms of gram flour
2 medium sized potatoes
small amount of oil for frying
I red onion
4/5 large chard or spinach leaves or equivalent of baby spinach
Half a courgette
Small handful of basil
Teaspoon of salt (use half a teaspoon of salt and an additional half spoon of kala namak or himalyan black salt to give an eggy flavour)
Black pepper to taste
Optional: sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds to add some extra nutrition and crunch.
- Wash and chop potatoes into cubes approximately 1-1.5cm. Boil or steam the potatoes until cooked
- Slice and quarter courgette. Chop chard or spinach reasonably small.
- Heat oil in a pan and then saute finely chopped onion for 3 minutes, add courgette and chard.
- Seize gram flour into a bowl. Slowly add water, mixing as you go to prevent big lumps from forming (a few small lumps is fine).
- Finely chop basil and add to mixture along with salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes to the vegetables, then add most of the mixture (keep about quarter of the gram and water mix back). Stir until well mixed.
- Pour into a grease proof paper (preferably the environmentally friendly kind) lined oven dish (approximately 35x20 cm in size).
- Pour remaining mixture to fill any gaps and/or make a smooth top layer.
- Sprinkle with the seeds if you choose to use them.k
- Put in the oven (180-190 degrees celcius) for 20-25 minutes until begins to turn golden.
- After it has cooled slightly remove from dish and allow to cool on a wire tray.
- It can be served hot or cold, I prefer it cold and it makes a great lunch.
Reasons I follow a compassionate vegan diet